Saturday, May 24, 2014

Time is cruel but God is there


Time is our enemy. It stands still for no one. It keeps marching on as we watch moments and memories march past as we cling to them. However, if we cling to our faith; whether your faith is in God or in something else, that faith reminds us we are not alone when time is unkind.

So much is going on right now. My oldest is being promoted to high school this week. I am trying to figure out where time has gone. This is the little boy I could not wait for to arrive. I held him, kissed his boo-boos, cried with him when he suffered from colic, stood by him and defended him fiercely when he was hurt by others. This promotion means a new and scary stage of our lives. Now we start talking about his future: does that mean college, jobs, more independence? Only time will tell us and I pray that time is kind to him because he deserves the world.

Time makes me look at my youngest and appreciate his "littleness" a lot more right now. I want to cling to every giggle and silly story that comes from him. I maintain that hug and the nighttime routine fiercely because, Lord knows, that has changed drastically with the oldest and I miss those times where I ended up with one or two boys in my bed needing snuggles or just to know I was there in the middle of the night when they needed comfort. Now I am the one asking for comfort. Reaching out just to make sure they know I am here for them when the time comes when they need something from me. I know God brought these two boys to my life for a reason and I am trying my best to raise them in His time and His plan.

Time is cruel. I have family members hurting. They need healing for their father, their daughter. I have a cousin who is dying from a horrible cancer and time has not been kind since he received his diagnosis. His second daughter is getting married in early June and it seems that he will not likely be here for the ceremony. Why? Why does this happen? I don't know why time is cruel but I do know that God is here, holding us up and getting us through the difficult times.

My niece is suffering from a horrible disease, she is 7. Her life expectancy is 9-13 years. Time is CRUEL. This little beauty with eyes full of love and infectious giggles is going to be taken from us too soon. She will be the flower girl in the wedding mentioned above and that will be another one of those memories we cling to because the family has made arrangements for my brother to walk her down the aisle that day. God has provided moments and memories to cherish even though time would rob us of these things.

Why is time so cruel and heartless, I have no idea. I do know that I have a God that is good and He will help me through the difficult times. I know that He will provide. He will be there for my oldest as he prepares for the next, major stage of his life, for the youngest as he also grows up too fast, for the family watching their loved one slip away, and for the family that has more time with their loved one but the time is still fleeting.



1To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted; A time to kill, And a time to heal; A time to break down, And a time to build up; A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing; A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away; A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silence, And a time to speak; A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace. ~Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
 

 

No comments: